- Days since my release from 26 years in prison: 142
- Miles run today: 2.2
- Miles run this week: 32
- Miles run during the calendar month: 2.2
- Marathon distances completed: 0
- Weight: 168
Journal of activities:
Russell Hancock, CEO of Joint Venture Silicon Valley invited me to speak about the injustices of mass incarceration on his radio program this morning. Mr. Hancock’s program is called “Inside Silicon Valley, and my segment will air on January 3 and January 5. The radio station broadcasts the show on Friday evenings at 7:00 pm and again on Sundays at noon on 1590 AM, KLIV.
In order to make it to the station on time, Carole and I left our home at 4:30 am. We arrived in San Jose by 6:30, and worked from a breakfast table at a hotel restaurant until it was time for the recording of the radio show to begin. I enjoyed participating on the program and I hope that listeners will find some value in the message.
Next month, on February 7, I will deliver a “TED” type speech at the 2014 State of the Valley Conference. The conference will be held at the Santa Clara Convention Center at 5001 Great America Parkway, in Santa Clara. I’m looking forward to this presentation, as I’ll speak in front of an audience of more than 1,000 people.
These efforts advance my three-pronged commitment of working to:
- Provide resources that help at-risk people and incarcerated individuals prepare for law-abiding, contributing lives;
- Assist the formerly incarcerated as they strive to transition into the labor market.
- Educate audiences of all types about the injustices of our nation’s commitment to mass incarceration.
I’m grateful to Russ Hancock for opening these opportunities to contribute.
The early morning departure meant that I’m falling behind on my fitness program. I fought traffic coming home. So far I’ve only run 2.2 miles in 2014. In order to reach my goal of 2,400 miles, I will need to catch up by the weekend.