Journal of today’s activities:
This morning I toured the San Francisco Jail in San Bruno. A film crew from PBS NewsHour is scheduled to record me as I teach the Straight-A Guide inside of that jail next Thursday. I wanted to visit the facility and learn how I could best serve the men inside. I’m grateful to Sunny Schwartz and Steve Good, of the San Francisco Sheriff’s Department. They coordinated the necessary approval from authorities so that I could participate in this project. The episode on innovative violence prevention techniques will air later this spring.
Following my time at the jail, I returned to San Francisco State University. Today was the first day of the new semester for me. When I walked into the classroom, the number of students who wanted to enroll in the course surprised me. We had so many students who were eager to participate that some chose to stand rather than be dismissed. I’m trying to coordinate a larger classroom for The Architecture of Incarceration. I’ll enjoy teaching this large group of students.
- Days since my release from 26 years in federal prison: 170
- Miles run today: 0
- Miles run this week: 29.2
- Miles run this month: 261.63
- Miles run in 2014: 261.63
- Miles I need to run to reach my 2,400-mile running goal for 2014:
- Number of miles I’m ahead of schedule or behind schedule: 64.53
- Today’s Weight: 164